Monday, February 22, 2010

US beats Canada Appreciation Day!

Preface: I know this is supposed to be about trading, but you will have to forgive me, because sometimes something special comes along that just needs to be talked about.

Where were you when the US beat Canada? OK, so your probably saying "what else is new... its Canada...?" Your right, in most things the US beating Canada is no big deal, but this is about hockey. I don't know if you knew, but Canada, well they love hockey... Who knew...?

Its been said about the 2010 Winter Olympics that if Canada only wins one Gold, well it better be in Hockey. So they put together one of the best most star ridden teams in history to take them there.

And this team hits a WALL known as the United STATES. The US played with relatively young and inexperienced players, and were written off before the game by all of the announcers... even Jeremy Roenick (One of USA best former hockey players).

If you were unaware, like my sister was, the stars of the NHL are made up of mostly foreign players, and during the Olympics the US isn't a hockey power house. They have only won gold twice and the last one was in 1980. The US has only medaled once since 1980 and it was for Silver (after losing to Canada) in 2002.

I have never watch a game with so much excitement and trepidation as the game I watched last night. It was not about the gold, it was not about stars, it was a prequalifier that, win or lose, both team would move on to the next round.

No it wasn't about that, it was about Pride. It was about both teams proving themselves.

And well, after last night, I am proud to have watch one of the best most hardest fought games I have ever witnessed. I can not explain to you how amazing that game was. The last few moments were so exciting that you can hear "DOC", a professional announcer, actually loses his voice from calling the game.

NBC Olympics Highlights of the US vs Canada

What sums this game up for me is after the final goal, the US is in a dog pile behind the goal going crazy and the announcer says the lamest, stupidest, and yet most meaningful line I have ever heard...

"And those are a bunch of happy humans, right there!"

I was happy too. And that, Charlie Brown, is what the Olympics is all about.

-tCT

No comments:

Post a Comment