Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jumping Ship

So I have been hearing rumors that Charles Schwab has started a price war in the trading market. As price wars are always a good thing for the consumer, I took a look at what they have to offer... Let's just say the simplicity of sharebuild.com is not an industry standard. On sharebuilder you had pretty much two options, buy or sell. You put in the name of the stock, indicated buy or sell, and quantity, it shows you price and DONE.

Well if I want to play with the big boys, it's time I upgrade... Both Schwab and Etrade offer amazing analytical tools and make trading easy. You can set them up to watch stocks for you, so you don't have to sit around to buy or sell (where is the fun in that...). I was leaning towards Schwab because they dropped the commission rate down to a cool $8.95 a trade, which would save me $1 a trade, and I get all the cool features.

Assuming Etrade does not undercut them (I truely hope they do!) by January 19th, when the new pricing is in effect, I will most likely jump ship and join the ranks of other schwabinistas, or is it schwabians?

In the mean time Citigroup is down to 3.50 as of closing. People are nervous about the feds decision on the "bank tax" tomorrow I'll wager, so I am debating to buy anything further until that subsides. Perhaps it will drop the industry across the board, making for a lower/riskier buy of Etrade all the more interesting.

I am looking at Nvidia (NVDA) as a possible start to my tech. Strong company, and you know sooner or later they are going to put out their new GPU's which will blow ATI out of the water.

"Business it's the AMERICAN way!"
(Sam Eagle, Muppet's Christmas Carole)

Initial Balance: $500.00
Current Balance: $489.00
Cash: $366.50
Stock: 35 shares Citigroup $122.50 (as of post)
Total (+/-): $-11.00

-tCT

No comments:

Post a Comment