Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

In honor of Martin Luther King day, the markets are closed. I am glad because this gives me the opportunity to put the remaining cash I had planned for this project, into my account.

So that brings me to another hurdle. As you know (or don't) I started this project with the intent to trade actively. And while I had to overcome a few hurdles to make this work, it is still my intent to trade. The problem is I have come across an long term investment opportunity that I think would be foolish to pass up, but I don't have any actual investment measures set up, and any investments I make until I do, will be with my active trading account... using my active accounts trading money. Though I am sure I could always invest seriously for now, and then put more money in to continue this project later, that just doesn't seem right...

So what is the investment that I am talking about? Well I can't (and legally do not) make any promises about this but I feel the upcoming months will be an excellent time to invest in Berkshire Hathaway. If you were unsure, Berkshire Hathaway is a little company run by a man named Warren Buffett (currently one of the richest people in the world, if not richest). They have two holdings BRK-A and BRK-B, on the exchange. Because Buffett has a very serious take on investments, and does not want his companies holdings to be activily traded, he never split his shares to decrease the value per share. BRK-A trades at $97,500.00 per share, and BRK-B trades at $3,247.00. These stocks have both had steady gains and in my opinion (which please recall is no opinion at all) are very good investments.

Obviously I could not afford even 1 share of either holding, but thats where this piece of news comes in... BRK-B will soon be splitting 50 for 1. Which means that people who own 1 share currently will soon own 50 shares at roughly $65 a piece. With the price coming down to more modest sums I am thinking it is a good time to invest.

So I will have to decide whether to invest for fun, or for my future... dumb.

Since the markets are closed, no change has been made to my +/-, though with Citi announcing their earnings tomorrow... I am less then excited.

-tCT

1 comment:

  1. If you got a chance, you could buy a percent of a share, since the price / (% ownership) will probably rise after the split, as tends to happen in cases like these.

    ReplyDelete